Huevos (eggs) a la Mexicana with a healthier version of refried beans is what Josh and I call Mexican breakfast. We have been having it almost every Saturday without fail since I moved to the UK and although it’s become “our Saturday tradition,” it’s too good not to share!
Huevos a la Mexicana is a very popular breakfast dish in Mexico and it was just as popular in my home growing up. The major difference with having this breakfast in California and having it here in England is, refried beans and corn tortillas are not as easy to find. This being said, I knew I would not be able to live without black beans or corn tortillas (no offense to El Paso for your tortillas, it’s just not the same) so I needed to find a way to make this dish here in London and this is what I did.
This dish is so easy to make, does not require loads of ingredients, and always gets amazing reviews from friends. The only thing that will take a little bit more of an effort is buying corn tortillas and finding a place that sells black beans, but lucky for all my European friends I have already done this for you!
I normally order in bulk as in my home we get through tortillas quickly but there is also an option to buy tortillas in a 10 pack. You can also use these tortillas for enchiladas, quesadillas, and tacos.
Black Beans- http://www.waitrose.com/shop/ProductView-10317-10001-13632-Epicure+black+beans
For a quick way to make refried beans, I have found this to be the best option. Not only are you not eating all the added extras that you would find in canned refried beans but you also save yourself some time in the morning.
Prep time: 10 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Total time: 30 min
Serve with: hot sauce
1/2 tablespoon of olive oil (x2)
2 tomatoes diced
1 small onion diced
Salt and pepper to taste
1 can organic black beans in water
1/2 teaspoon cumin
1/2 teaspoon cayanne
1/2 teaspoon chicken bouillon/stock cube
Huevos a la Mexicana
1. Dice your tomatoes and onion
2. Heat olive oil on low heat in a frying pan
3. Once the oil is hot, add the diced tomatoes and onion and season with salt and pepper. Keep stirring until your onions are soft and appear transparent. This should take about 4 minutes on low heat.
4. Once your tomatoes and onion are cooked, add eggs and stir well, scrambling the eggs. This will be your “huevos a la mexicana” done!
1. In a blender, blend the beans, cumin, cayanne, chicken stock, adding salt and pepper to taste
2. Heat 1/2 tbls of olive oil on medium heat in frying pan. When heated pour in blended beans
3. Keep stirring beans until they begin to bubble
4. Take off heat and serve along side your egg
Microwave five tortillas at a time in 30 second bursts until they are warmed through
In oven – Wrap a stack of five or fewer tortillas in aluminum foil and put them in a pre-heated 170 degrees C for 15-20 minutes, until heated through
Let me know how you get on! Enjoy
Cooking with love,